Followers

Monday 24 November 2014

To Stir or Not to Stir

This week we have a British Christmas Tradition dating back to the time of Prince Albert - Stir up Sunday! Yesterday, 23 November 2014 was Stir Up Sunday.

The last Sunday before Advent is when the vicar recites the words of the collect "Stir up, we beseech thee, O Lord, the wills of thy faithful people"  This is the cue that Christmas is only a few weeks away and it is time to make the pudding.  Of course nowadays the supermarkets have been reminding us that the Festive season is drawing closer for weeks and weeks!

So, traditionally families would gather together to make the Christmas pudding, each taking a turn to stir the mixture and make a wish. In times gone by a silver sixpence was added to the mix with the hope that it would bring good fortune to whoever found it in the pudding bowl. Nowadays of course, Health & Safety would have a field day with that concept!



So, do you make your own Christmas Pudding or do you just buy one of the many on offer in our shops? Or maybe, you don't like Christmas Pudding - I believe there are people who don't!

What about the Christmas Cake?  

Years ago I always made a fruit cake in late November and then "feed" it with alcohol right up until Christmas Eve. Then I would cover the cake in marzipan, eating nearly as much as made it onto the cake. The royal icing and decorations were added whilst watching an old black & white film on the TV. Ah those were the days - nowadays I don't seem to have the time!

Shall I make a Christmas Cake, or shall I buy one in?
I'd need to buy ingredients and probably a tin
There's gifts to buy and cards to write. much still to be done
Is there time to make a Christmas Cake - enough for everyone?

Perhaps I'll buy one and ice it , I don't think they would know
I could add ribbon & holly and ice a Ho Ho Ho
And when they say "It's lovely, you must tell us how its made"
I'll say "Old family recipe - can't share it I'm afraid"

1 comment: